Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Not good. Not good at all, if you ask me!

Yesterday I had the day to myself. sigh. It was good. sigh. Not to rub it in, friends but... wow! So I know what you're thinking.....what does a girl do with a day to herself. Well, laundry, laundry, laundry, dishes, a little more laundry and a lot of reading. I loved all of it except for the laundry and dishes.

Geoff was gone (again. He works so stinkin' hard; too stinkin' hard). He was all over the state yesterday, in fact. So I had the day alone.

After laundry and dishes (well to be truthful I mostly didn't do laundry and dishes because let's face it; you put a load of laundry in and have to wait an hour before you can do more) I read. And read. And read. I love reading. I love reading your blogs, I love reading books, short essays, General Conference archives, magazines, blogs of writers, recipes, journals, electric bills, street signs, menus, etc. etc. etc.

I'm getting to the point here. Give me a minute to muse already!
So I spent most of the day reading friends' blogs. Of course they were mostly all about the Easter holiday and how darling your kids were in new clothing and stories of the Easter bunny, what you made as special treats for the kids, Easter egg hunts, candy, candy, candy, the scrumptious dinner you prepared. It was fantastic and I was jealous!

Why, you wonder? Because Saturday night Geoff dear announced to the whole family that the Easter bunny had died. Now... I read one of my friends' blog about how she sunk the entire Easter bunny thingy too but that she was honest with her young kids. She just right out told them that those Easter baskets they see in the grocery stores were for parents to buy to pretend to be the Easter bunny.

And again, I know what you are thinking..... wow! Doesn't she (Lezlie) have older kids? Yes, I do. Oldest is almost 14; youngest is almost 7. But I grew up always believing (or was so told by my parents) that as long as you believe... they will come; the Easter bunny, Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, etc. etc.

Geoff dear and I disagree with the death of the Easter bunny and I wonder if it can be fixed. hmmm- maybe next year we can say that the Easter bunny had a cousin??? I don't know. Death is pretty final.

I was glaring at Geoff dear all day Sunday. Kill joy! Scrooge! Fun taker awayer!
No new dresses, no egg hunts, no Easter bunny.

DID HE HAVE TO DIE? Couldn't he just have needed some time off this year? Couldn't he have just run out of eggs and candy? Or even wounded his poor little thumper leg. Or been delayed with bad weather in Alaska? Or been short on the baskets what with these economic times and all?

We did have a lovely dinner and scrumptious dessert, wonderful FHE on the meaning of Easter, wonderful church meetings and talks. It was a good day.

Would've been better with the Easter bunny.

Sir Easter bunny----WHEREVER YOU ARE----I BELIEVE!!!

7 comments:

Leilani said...

Since Easter is about the resurrection, I think you have your solution to a dead bunny!

brady lady said...

that's funny, i kind of get why he did what he did, although if i were a child and was friends with your children that would have been an akward conversation at school the next day....

"what did you get for easter?"

"my dad said the easter bunny died, why did you get something?"

"ahh, yeah!" akward silence "he died? really? when? how?"

children should not have to explain these things, bad idea geoff, bad idea for sure!

Megan said...

man, your friend sounds like an awesome mom!

Melissa M. said...

My kids didn't get any baskets or candy (well Henry got some at church) and they didn't even ask me why, so luckily I didn't even have to go there.
I did substitute in Ashlyn's class and her friends were talking about all of the candy they got and she was like, "What's a Peep?"
Poor girl.

Susan said...

Don't know what I'd do about your dead bunny...maybe resurrect him. (Sorry for the irreverence)

Our kids are still full on believers with no hope in sight for catching a break with all that extra work.

Just the other day we were talking about replacing the kid's bikes (when we get some money-ya know from a job) Cause the all just got so big so fast. Anyway, Karissa pipes in with, "If you don't get the money by Christmas, Santa can just bring new bikes and that way it wont cost you a penny!"

Brilliant idea girl...why didn't I think of that???

Susan said...

Don't worry though I set her straight in a hurry...

I told her if that dad's don't have a jpb and the family has no money, Santa does not bring bikes. It would be silly to have brand new shinny bikes and no food or a house.

She responded with, "...sorry you're gunna havta buy the bikes then..."

I sure told her. Maybe I should have your hubby come have a heart to heart with her. He could use that direct cruel approach with her.

Jodi said...

Chad loved this idea! He hates Santa and the tooth fairy too, and keeps making comments to the youngest about all of them. I keep telling him that he won't get anything from any of them if he stops believing but he doesn't seem to care! I told him Susan's resurrection idea if he tried though - yes, I can be stubborn I know, but I grew up without ANY of these things of magical imagination and feel I was very deprived! I compromise by making them minimal in my kids lives, but they exist none the less- at least for the two youngest.